Monday, 12 January 2015

Internal dialogue: animals

Turmoil.

Conflict for another word.

I just fucking hate myself and the fact I eat animals. I get periods where this really plays on my mind. An animal, with as much a right to life as I, yet somehow it is lesser than I and resides upon my plate. And I fucking hate that. I love animals.

Clearly not.

It's something I can't break out of- I've tried.

But I never justify eating an animal nor would I hound (pun unintended, I found in retrospect) someone for eating for example, a dog. Just because I have dogs and love them dearly, I lost my right to claim that eating them would be wrong when I accepted eating other species. Same goes for other animals I'm particularly fond of- horses, giraffes and humpback whales. What makes these any different from chickens, cows and lambs?

Lambs.

Fucking babies. Never even had a chance of life. I fucking hate myself.

But then back to whales. Is whaling wrong? Obviously it is but am I allowed to argue that? I indirectly kill other animals, how is this different?

It breaks my heart.

But even if I didn't eat animals, the animal that would otherwise be upon my plate is still dead. Me refusing it won't bring it back to life. What's the difference? But if everyone said no, there would never be demand for the death of these animals.

But not everyone would say no.

Conflict.

Being a minority and refusing to eat animals wouldn't lessen their slaughter. Animals would still be killed whether I choose to eat them or not.

Turmoil.

Meat.

Disgusting word. It is an animal that has been killed.

An animal.

What the actual fuck?!

It isn't right.

I'm on one side of the argument mentally but my actions are polar.

The life of an animal is worth no less than my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment